God Bless Texas
This post is dedicated to my love for my state and the place I will always call home….TEXAS! I thought it would be fun to talk about the things I love most about it. No, we don’t all ride horses to work and school. No, we don’t all have accents. No, we don’t always wear boots and cowboy hats (only sometimes). And no, we don’t all live on a farm or in the desert. I will say though, that we definitely love our sweet tea, fried foods, and we are as prideful as they come. We do, after all, live in the best state in the country!
Here are a few of my favorite things that make Texas what it is.
- Whataburger – In-N-Out has nothing on this! If you are ever in Texas, you HAVE to stop at Whataburger. It’s seriously the best fast food burger you will ever eat! And not to mention, the fries and apple pies are amazing. Also, I know this is weird to say, but even the ketchup and mustard are better here than anywhere else. So good, that you can buy Whataburger ketchup and mustard at the grocery stores!
- Big Red – Created in Waco, TX, this is a soda that you choose when you’ve had a long night of drinking, and you just need some soda and greasy food. This just makes it all better. The taste is really hard to describe, but just try and think of drinking bubble gum, with a mix of cotton candy, strawberry, and vanilla that burns so good when it goes down. It’s amazing and you just have to taste it for yourself.
- Blue Bell – I can’t talk enough about this ice cream. I couldn’t live without it. One of the things that we Texans are proud of is our Blue Bell. There’s no other ice cream like it! And there are so many flavors, like Southern Blackberry Cobbler, Banana Split, and Pralines and Cream. I love most of the flavors, but I’m a simple girl, so I always go back to my OGs, Homemade Vanilla or Cookies and Cream. Sometimes I’ll put Big Red on top of the Homemade Vanilla and make a float. It’s the best thing on this Earth.
- H-E-B – Just imagine the largest grocery store you can think of that literally has everything you would need….even clothes, DVDs, and books. They even make fresh, homemade tortillas right in front of you. In the bigger H-E-Bs, you’ll see freshly made sushi, salsa, guacamole, juices, and samples galore. It’s the ultimate grocery shopping experience. It is definitely true when they say, “Everything is bigger in Texas”.
- Breakfast Tacos – This pretty much puts the breakfast burrito to shame. I’m sure breakfast burritos are good….but that just means you’ve never been to Texas and had breakfast tacos. They are loaded with anything you can think of – beans, eggs, bacon, potatoes, sausage, cheese, and random types of meat that you would probably think is disgusting if you aren’t from here….like tripas, barbacoa, and carne guisada. The possibilities are endless. I love living in San Antonio specifically, because you can get breakfast tacos at every corner! My simple self goes for the same thing every time……bean and cheese. If I’m feeling frisky, I might add bacon.
- Texas Country & BBQ – One of my favorite things about my state is Texas Country music. I think that country music has changed a lot and is definitely more “poppy” than country. Texas Country to me, is what country music should be like. Some of my favorites that I think define Texas Country are Stoney LaRue, Josh Abbott Band, Roger Creager, Pat Green, and Randy Rogers Band. There are many, many more, but those are my favorites. And of course this wouldn’t be Texas without the BBQ! There is so much great BBQ in this state, but the best I’ve tasted so far is Blacks BBQ in Luling, TX. There is nothing better than Texas Country, BBQ, and BEER! That is true Texan.
- Texas Sunsets and Bluebonnets – There is just something about the sunsets here. I swear they are different! I’ve heard many people that aren’t from Texas make comments about our sky. It’s full of pinks, purples, blues, and oranges. And not to mention, in the Spring, our state fills up with the Texas flower: BLUEBONNETS! I’ll stop talking about it and just attach a picture below. Isn’t it beautiful?! It is definitely God’s country.
I had the best time writing this post! I hope y’all enjoyed it. Cheers to the weekend and having a great 4th of July holiday!
**Shirt is from Francesca’s. You can get it here.